A brief historical overview of the Bulgarian Neurosurgery and the Bulgarian Society of Neurosurgery
1937 - The first neurosurgical operation was performed by Dr. N. Vasilev (a student of Clovis Vincent in Paris) and Dr. F. Filipov (training with W. Toennis in Germany).
1942 - The first Neurosurgical ward at the Neuropsychiatric Clinic of Alexandrovska Hospital - Sofia Medical University opens. During World War II, the ward became a military hospital ward, performing surgical treatment of head, spine and peripheral nerve injuries.
1946 - Neurosurgery ward is transformed into Independent Center for Neurosurgery.
1952 - The first Department of Neurosurgery was established in our country on the territory of the University Hospital - Alexandrovska - Sofia, headed by Prof. F. Filipov. In the following decades, it became the cradle of the creation and development of Bulgarian neurosurgery. Other neurosurgery clinics were established at the Medical Institutes of Plovdiv (1952), Varna (1961), Pleven (1975) and Stara Zagora (1993). Neurosurgical clinics are also based at the Military Medical Academy (1954) and the Institute for Emergency Medical Care - Pirogov (1973) in Sofia.
1958 - A department of neurosurgery was established as part of the Society of Neurology, Psychiatry and Neurosurgery.
1975 - The Bulgarian Society of Neurosurgery is established as an independent company with the first president Prof. P. Petrov. In the same year, the Bulgarian Society of Neurosurgery (BSN) joined the European Association of Neurosurgical Societies - EANS.
1961-1991 - Journal of Neurology, Psychiatry and Neurosurgery (Sofia).
1992 - Bulgarian Neurosurgery Magazine
2001 - The Bulgarian Society of Neurosurgery (BSN) joins the International Federation of Neurosurgical Societies (WFNS).
Presidents of the Bulgarian Society of Neurosurgery:
1975 - 1980 - Prof. Dr. P. Petrov