BDN was established as an independent body in 1975 in the capital of the country Sofia. It is the successor of the Department of Neurosurgery of the Society of Neurology, Psychiatry and Neurosurgery, founded in 1958. BDN has 5 branches in the country, respectively at the Medical Universities in Sofia, Plovdiv, Varna, Pleven and Stara Zagora.
The MNU conducts annual national scientific conferences, incl. and with international participation, usually in the first two weeks of October, lasting 3 days. Every two years, MNG holds joint meetings with the National Societies of Neurology, Orthopedics and Traumatology, Otolaryngology and others.
Since 2003, MNS has organized joint scientific symposia with the Neurosurgical Clinic of the University of Münster, Germany, every two years, which are held on an alternate visit. These scientific events are dedicated to the implementation of joint research projects within the framework of the academic inter-institutional partnership traditionally sponsored by and with the financial support of the Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, Bonn, Germany.
The seat of the central management of the MND is located in the Clinic of Neurosurgery of the University Hospital “St. Eve. Rilski ”, Medical University Sofia
MND is the only neurosurgical company in the country. It represents the Bulgarian neurosurgical community and is responsible for contacts with the bodies of the European Association of Neurosurgical Societies and the World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies. MNN strives to develop research and neurosurgical theory and practice. In summary, these objectives are achieved through: